If you were unable to attend the demo, don't worry...we've got the recipes for you!
Navets Braises (Braised Turnips)
1 Kg Turnips
30 g butter
30 g flour
1 tsp tomato paste
1 small shallot
1 clove garlic
.75 L water & beef or vegetable bouillon cubes
Bouquet Garni (Parsley, Thyme, Rosemary) -tie the herbs in a piece of cheesecloth
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Boil the water. Peel the turnips. Cut the turnips into half inch or so chunks. Add turnips to boiling water for a fe minutes. Drain them well.
2. Heat the butter in a thick bottom pot. Add the turnips. Let them slightly brown for a few minutes. Dust the turnips with the flour. Stir well. Add the tomato paste, the shallot, the garlic the bouquet garni and the salt and pepper. cover the opt. Cook on low heat for about 45 minutes. Remove the bouquet garni and serve.
Notes: Strong turnip flavor! Works nicely with lamb chops.
*Recipe from Les Recettes Faciles de Francoise Bernard
Alpine Potato-Vegetable Soup
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp, butter or margarine
5 c. chicken broth (homemade, canned or bouillon cubes)
3 medium carrots, sliced
2 medium celery stalks, sliced (reserve tops)
1 zucchini, sliced
1 Tbsp, snipped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill weed
2 or 3 sprigs fresh parsley, minced
1 tsp salt, if desired (omit if using canned broth or cubes)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Thickener (optional): 1 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp cold water
1. In a large saucepan, saute the garlic and onion in the butter until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the broth, potatoes, carrots, celery (without tops) and zucchini to the pan
3. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender
4. Add the dill, parsley, salt, pepper, reserved sliced celery tops and, if desired, the thickener and simmer the soup until it is slightly thickened
5. Serve immediately, with croutons, if desired.
MAKES 6 SERVINGS
Preparation tip: Suggests not to freeze this since the vegetables lose some of their texture.
*Recipe from Jane Brody's Good Food Book